Bishop Cosin’s Almshouses, 7 Owengate, Durham is a Grade II listed building founded in 1666 on Palace Green. The present building was constructed in 1837 for the University.
The full restoration of the building included external stone repair and replacement as necessary. The existing facade is coursed and squared sandstone with ashlar dressings. The existing mortar pointing was detrimental to the building and was replaced with lime pointing. Howarth Litchfield worked closely with Durham County Council Conservation Officers during this project.
The Centre is used as an orientation facility for visitors. It is a key step in the improvement of information for visitors and a way of promoting other attractions on the Durham Peninsular.